An Evaluation Model for CIM profile analysis focusing on the needs of DSO Information Integration
Power Climate Smarter living - that’s our purpose. We are looking for the brightest students to make this happen. Together you will contribute to a fossil free future. You will have a unique position to contribute to our purpose. All we ask from you is to use your Superpowers and share your energy to help us achieve our goal.
About the thesis
Vattenfall R&D is responsible for conducting business driven technical development that creates value for the company and helps realizing our strategy. We work in agile teams close to the business of Vattenfall. The corporate R&D unit employs 120 people located in three different offices in Sweden and Denmark. The section Power Technology works with power system analysis needed to understand bottlenecks and dynamic behaviors in the electrical grid as well as optimization and control of the power system including both its loads and productions.
Digitalization is a key research and development interest of Vattenfall Eldistribution AB. The digitalization of the substations allows more information to be available, not only to the operation related services but also to enterprise ancillary services (such as planning, condition monitoring, optimization, etc.). The roll out of a new Smart Metering system includes deployment of smart meters that provides both metering data and power quality supervision data, at customer side as well as in the secondary substations. Previous research and development activities have identified different use cases, and associated needs of data from different data sources (e.g. measurement, status information, records from substations, smart meters, and etc.). Due to the heterogeneous nature of the data sources, sharing of data from different data sources among different business use cases is facing challenges, due to various kinds of communication protocol, various data coding, various data types, various types of data modelling, etc. In order to overcome such challenges, an information integration that uses the IEC TC57 Reference Architecture (RA) is being applied. As specified in the RA, the IEC Common Information Model (CIM) shall be used at operation and enterprise level. However, there are still some remaining challenges. Manufactures, Transmission System Operators (TSOs) and Distribution System Operators (DSOs) often create their own CIM profiles, which can include all or part of the standardized canonical CIM model, to meet their own needs for data modelling. Different CIM profiles might lead to interoperability issues and will make the information integration more complex. A common solution is to implement a company specific common CIM profile.
At Vattenfall Eldistribution, these is at the moment a lack of such a CIM profile. Therefore, the overall goal of this activity is to develop a proposal on a CIM profile that best suits Vattenfall Eldistribution, considering the business use cases related to substation and customer metering data. In addition, in order to evaluate the developed CIM profile, an evaluation methodology and model shall be developed. The amount of work needed is considered to be more than what is suitable for a single students so the work is divided in two parts.
The main objective of the thesis(es) is to propose a method (evaluation model) to assess existing vendor-specific CIM models against the needs of information integration based on Vattenfall’s use cases, and identify gaps towards a Vattenfall-specific CIM-profile.
Literature review: shall cover at least the followings
- Related work on CIM profile development
- Related CIM Standards (IEC 61970, IEC 61968, etc.)
- Related work on CIM profile evaluation and verification method
- IEC TC57 Reference Architecture
Use Case analysis
- Needs of information integration from different business use cases
- Reference architecture implementation at Vattenfall
Student 1: Propose CIM profile for Vattenfall Eldistribution
- The proposed CIM profile shall cover aspects such as real time data values (from both meters at customer side and secondary substation side, measurement data from digitalized substations), asset and equipment data
- The proposed CIM profile shall be future proof (considering the potential future needs of DSO)
- The proposed CIM profile shall be developed using Sparx EA tool
- The proposed CIM profile shall be verified
- Refine the proposed CIM profile if necessary
Student 2: Propose an evaluation model for CIM profile analysis (depending on availability results from student 1)
- Propose the evaluation method
- The proposed evaluation model shall take into consideration the needs of Vattenfall business cases on CIM profile that covers the aspects of real time data, asset, equipment, maintenance, operation, etc.
- Case study 1: Apply different CIM profiles (i.e. example of standard, manufacture, other electric grid operator, etc.) on the evaluation model to identify the gap between the profiles and needs of Vattenfall
- Case study 2: Apply the proposed CIM profile for Vattenfall by Student 1 to evaluate the gap between the profile and needs of Vattenfall
- Identify the gap between the proposed profile and existing profiles from manufacture
This assignment is for 2 students
Each master thesis student shall write his / her own master thesis which shall fulfill the requirements of master thesis project course.
We are looking for students to join our journey towards a fossil free future. You are soon to be graduated from your academic studies. You also identify yourself with our principles: active, open, positive and safe.
We are looking for two master thesis students (30 hp) in the field of electric power systems with:
- Good knowledge of Common Information Model (CIM), information exchange within electrical power section, and related standards.
- Good knowledge of UML
- Basic programming skill to handle XML file
- Eager to learn in depth of the CIM standards, CIM profile development and related tools.
- Knowledge of Web Ontology Language (OWL) and enterprise architecture tools is a merit.
- Start of assignment: planned as 2021-11-15 or by agreement
- Location: Solna
- Application – a combined document with your CV and cover letter, and grades are to be submitted in the application.
- Deadline for application is 2021-10-31.
- Contact person and supervisor at Vattenfall is: [yiming.wu@Vattenfall.com, 0761368885, Yiming Wu and firstname.lastname@example.org, Daniel Brodén]
Diversity & inclusion - in everything we do
At Vattenfall we build on the fact that diverse teams can outperform homogeneous teams. But we can only unleash and leverage the power of diversity, if we make everybody feel included. Read more about our important work on diversity & inclusion https://careers.vattenfall.com/about-us/diversity-and-inclusion/
We have been electrifying industries, powering homes and transforming life through innovation and collaboration for more than 100 years. Empowered by our goal, we are determined to enable fossil free living within one generation. To succeed we, as one of Europe's leading energy companies, must be fossil-free ourselves.
But that’s not enough. That’s why we are looking beyond our own industry, to see where we can really make a difference.
Join us in our journey towards a fossil-free life within one generation.
Want to learn more about what we do? Visit www.vattenfall.com.
Since Vattenfall is a part of the Swedish critical infrastructure, many of our services are security classed. If this position is security classed the final candidates might be subjected to a security vetting process, according to the Swedish legislation.