The University of Southern Denmark (SDU) and Orifarm invite highly motivated graduates to apply for a 3-year PhD scholarship starting in August 2021 or soon thereafter. The PhD study will be conducted in the Software Engineering Section at the Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Institute (Faculty of Engineering). The title of the project is “Data-driven agent-based simulation for decision support in parallel trading of pharmaceuticals”.
About the project
The project’s main objective is to develop agent-based modelling and simulation software for predicting parallel trading of pharmaceuticals in EU. Orifarm will use the software to simulate and support complex business decisions on buying and selling pharmaceutical products. Orifarm has operated within parallel trading since 1994 and has collected data on price fluctuations, competing products, originator products, generic products, customer behavior, marketing authorizations, sourcing countries, sales countries, product in stock, product expiry dates, etc. Orifarm wants to make these complex and essential business decisions in a more digitalized and more data-driven manner, leading to faster, less risky, less subjective (person dependent), and more sound decisions.
A rewarding and challenging position in a company with an ambition to reach excellence in cooperation with people who bring in new ideas and perspectives. The candidate will be employed by Orifarm and will at the same time be enrolled as a PhD candidate at SDU – Faculty of Engineering. SDU Software Engineering is a relatively new and growing section, focusing its research on data analytics, modeling and simulation, software design, and software development, providing high-value and people-oriented software for a variety of academic and industrial purposes. We are focusing on building a strong collaborative environment and we are currently expanding with many new positions.
The position is a 3-year Industrial PhD project. The project is funded by Innovation Fund Denmark. The salary will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
A successful applicant should have:
- MSc degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Informatics or equivalent
- Experience with programming languages (e.g., C++, Java, Python, etc.)
- Experience with modeling, simulation and data analytics
- Genuine interest in doing research and learning new concepts
- Comfortable learning new programming languages if needed
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable working both independently or within a team
- Interested in longer term commitment in a growing research group
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
Please submit your application via the application link below no later than June 15, 2021. Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. The application must be in English and must include:
- Application stating position(s) and reasons for applying. Elaborate how your experience and background fit the corresponding position(s). Please attach your motivated application to “application material” under “Research Plan”
- A research proposal/description of your approach to the above project (max one page, excluding references)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certificates/Diplomas (MSc) - Danish or English transcripts
- An official document describing the educational structure and the grading scheme of the awarding universities
- Examples of the most relevant publications (if available) and the applicant’s master thesis
Further information may be obtained from SDU’s Professor Sanja Lazarova-Molnar (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Orifarm’s Department Manager, Business Optimization, Anders Skjoldemose Bech (email@example.com).
Starting out with a strong entrepreneurial mission, Orifarm was founded in 1994 by Birgitte and Hans Bøgh-Sørensen. The underlying explorer spirit still characterizes the company, and with high ambition, we are constantly looking for new opportunities and business areas to invest in. Our purpose of being is to create competition and provide important savings for society and to ensure better value for money for consumers. We strive to make this happen while insisting on being good colleagues, improving together, helping each other, and innovating.
We operate within three main business areas: Parallel Import, Generics, and New Bizz. We are the largest parallel importer of pharmaceuticals in Europe and the largest supplier of pharmaceuticals in Denmark. We hold a strong position in Generics in the Nordics, being the largest producer of over-the-counter medicine in Denmark. Our portfolio contains well-known brands such as Pamol, Kodimagnyl, and Apovit. Within New Bizz, we aim to expand our business by exploring new opportunities within pharmaceuticals.
You can read more at: www.orifarm.com
15. June 2021