The department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as a PhD student in “Finding the right factory for the right antigen: development of an ultra high-throughput platform for cell factory selection and recombinant protein screening”.
The position is part of the FBM Initiative, which is funded by the Novo Nordisk Foundation.
This position will be placed in the Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine, section of Synthetic Biology working with with genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, discovery of novel cell factories and fermentation technology. The section has a total staff of approx. 45, of which 9 is faculty.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The purpose of this project is to develop high-throuhgput methodologies to systematically evaluate process development steps for recombinant protein production at a rapid pace relying on liquid handling robotics, novel molecular biology technics and state-of-the-art machine learning. This project will be performed in collaboration with Evaxion Biotech ApS and Twist Bioscience.
In this project, you will
- Design and implement truncation libraries by automated HT-cloning for recombinant protein expression in bacteria and yeast.
- Develop ultra-HT analysis methods based on mass spectrometry detection
- Implement optimal downstream processing methods for selected peptide candidates
- Assist in the development of highly efficient machine learning tools for prediction on optimal peptide-cell factory combinations.
Candidates should have a Master’s degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the Master’s degree in engineering.
We are looking for a candidate with a solid background in
- State-of-the-art molecular biology / synthetic biology of bacteria and yeast (e.g. USER cloning)
- Fermentation technology
- HT robotics and automation (e.g. HAMILTON, ROTOR, Tecan EVO or similar).
- Protein biology (labeling and detection).
We expect that you are an efficient team worker, have good communication skills, and have a critical approach to the formulation and testing of hypotheses. Also, a good sense of humor will be appreciated.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)