DTU Biosustain at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as a PhD student in Development of advanced co-cultivation systems for an improved fermentation performance of complex substrates.
This position will be placed in the Biomass Conversion and Bioprocess Technology (BCBT) group at DTU Biosustain. The BCBT group works on the development of new, efficient and sustainable process technologies that can accelerate the development of a bio-economy. The group´s research relates chemical engineering and biotechnology tools including aspects such as biomass pretreatment, fermentation, evolutionary engineering and co-cultivation of microbial strains, downstream process and techno‐economic assessment.
Responsibilities and tasks
- This project aims to develop a new fermentation strategy using co-cultivation of microrganisms for an improved conversion of carbon sources from complex substrates. The PhD student will be expected to be develop research activities such as adaptive laboratory evolution and metabolic engineering of microbial strains, fermentation, microbial physiology and process optimization.
- The PhD student will be expected to familiarize her/himself with relevant background literature and disseminate the acquired knowledge to other group members through seminars and/or study groups.
- The PhD student will be expected to write scientific papers and present her/his results at national/international scientific conferences;
- The PhD student will be expected to act in the supervision of MSc and BSc students.
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Biotechnology or similar area (Biological Engineering, Biochemistry, etc.,)
- A strong interest in bioprocesses using renewable feedstock (lignocellulosic biomass) as carbon source.
- Laboratory experience with fermentation and cell factory engineering
- Efficient team worker and critical approach to formulating and testing hypotheses
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and spoken English
- Talent for scientific writing
- Ability to work independently and meet the deadlines
- The ideal candidate is proud to deliver consistent results and is a fast learner
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)