Position: Mechanical Design Engineer -- Electric Motors
Collins Aerospace is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together Rockwell Collins and UTC Aerospace Systems, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn't be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organization, as well as our engineers -- a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
As future technologies evolve towards the More Electric Aircraft, Collins Aerospace has a significant need for high performance electric motors and drives across its broad product portfolio. This role is to create a world class capability in the design and manufacture of high performance electric motors and motor drive systems, working closely with other Collins Aerospace divisions both as customers and partners, to establish superior, differentiated technologies for future Motor Drive Systems.
As a centre of excellence, we realise the value of a working environment where innovation and creativity can flourish. We recognise the expertise you bring to us and we encourage your continuing training and development as an engineer and, if you choose, as a leader. We support your chartered membership of professional bodies, we offer the opportunity to be mentored by expert colleagues and you'll have access to our Employee Scholar Program - one of the most comprehensive company-sponsored employee education programs in the world. Even our contemporary new facility is planned around our people. You'll find state of the art laboratory and operations areas, as well as comfortable, spacious offices, with break out zones for team work and collaborative thinking.
Location: Fore Business Park, Solihull, located off Junction 4 of the M42, with direct links to the M6, M40 and the M5. Onsite parking. Frequent bus services offering good onward connections to rail and other bus services. Close to local amenities. Please note that we are working to expand our premises -- with work due to be completed by 2019.
- Responsibility for reporting on work package progress.
- Ensuring satisfactory milestone compliance with agreed targets to support project needs and timescales.
- Ensuring the technical integrity of the product so that it meets all performance, reliability, cost and safety requirements.
- Production of Design Schemes, including CAD model assemblies and 2D drawings for concept and detail designs of electrical machines.
- Conducting design calculations such as interference fits, thermal growths, hoop and tensile stresses, thread loadings and tolerance analysis to support concept and detail designs.
- Operating in accordance with Collins Aerospace procedures and leading the necessary design reviews.
- Production of design assurance documentation including ERN's and Design Reports.
- The role holder will use their extensive knowledge and experience to coach and provide process guidance to more junior designers.
- Providing support to other team members in completion of their activities.
This should not be considered an exhaustive list of the duties of the position; it is meant to give a general description of what the main duties are, recognising that the successful job incumbent may be requested to fulfil assignments in other departments within the business, commensurate with the level of a Senior Specialist Engineer.
Essential Requirements / Personal Characteristics
- Holds a degree or equivalent level qualification in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of designing and working with electric motors and/or generators.
- Demonstrates and applies an understanding of: engineering materials and production methods relevant to them and the principles of Design to Cost and Design for Manufacture.
- Proactive, with proven ability to prioritise and work to complex plans or processes, and to deliver against key customer milestones within cost.
- Confidence and credibility - the ability to interact verbally and in writing with customers, suppliers, and a wide range of colleagues and external contacts at all levels. Must be able to produce and deliver technical presentations.
- Able to lead a team, work in a project team or work alone in a range of situations, including within the wider organisation and with customers, suppliers or other third parties both in the UK and overseas.
Open Date: Wednesday 18th September 2019
Closing Date: Friday 18th October 2019
Location: Shirley, Sollihul