Under the direct supervision of the UNV Programme Assistant and the overall supervision of the Programme Analyst, the intern will be expected to provide support to the UNV activities in the country.
The candidate is expected to work on a daily basis with colleagues in the UNV COT and regularly with UNDP, UNV/HQ Bonn and the general public. Thus, it is expected that he/she will develop and maintain viable working relationship with colleagues across the organization and be able to work with them in a responsible client orientation and problem solving mode.
United Nations interns are not paid. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties & Responsibilities:
Assist the Operations Assistant by providing support in the following tasks:
In-country UN Volunteer Programme:
- Support the recruitment of UN Volunteers: Assist in the identification, selection and recruitment processes, including advertising, screening/long-listing of candidate profiles, organizing interviews and recording proceedings, preparing interview reports and initiating the recruitment process of selected candidates by communicating and guiding them on the recruitment formalities/procedures, reviewing all documents for recruitment, preparation of the recruitment checklist and any other duties that may arise.
- Facilitate the visa and logistics for International UN Volunteers: Assist in the securing of visa clearance/extension, arrange accommodation, airport pick-up and other logistics, facilitate the opening of local bank accounts, and any other duties that may arise.
- Support the on-boarding of new UN Volunteers: Organize briefing and orientation programmes, prepare/share briefing kits and promotional materials, ensure all logistical arrangements for the briefing.
- Facilitate securing of ID Cards: Obtaining/extending of UN IDs, UNV and Government ID cards for new/serving UN Volunteers.
- Facilitate completion of mandatory learning courses: Prepare a table and tracking system to ensure all UN Volunteers complete on-line learning including Basic and Advanced security tests.
- Absence management of UN Volunteers; reconcile records of all UN Volunteers.
- Documentation of UN Volunteer Information; maintain/update UN volunteer contact information lists and provide data as required. Open/maintain personal files ensuring all correspondence, reports, contracts are filed and archive closed files.
- Assist in maintaining budgets: Review invoices, ensure prompt approvals and keep track of day to day payments.
- Assist in organizing events and actively participate in the UNV activities organized or developed in the country.
- Dispatch documentation ensuring proper process is followed and copies are retained and filed.
- Respond to queries regarding the UNV programme in general and in Sri Lanka.
- Assist the UNV COT with any other duties as may be assigned.
- Proactive (able to pro-actively undertake tasks that fall under TORs)
- Ability and willingness to operate independently
- Team Player
- Excellent writing skills
- Quick learner
- Good computer skills
- Polite and outgoing
Required Skills and Experience
- Pursuing final year / awaiting results of University Degree in the field of Social Science, Development Studies, International Relations, Finance, Management, Business Administration any related areas.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English required and proficiency in Sinhala and/or Tamil is an advantage.
- Ability to think and work logically and precisely with attention to detail.
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Refer a FriendApply Now