Job DescriptionAs a Senior Engineer – Power Electronic Converters in RRE-SG, you will primarily be responsible for delivering multiple applied research and development (R&D) projects and product development on Power Electronic Converters for Rolls-Royce businesses (aerospace, marine and power systems etc.). You will have opportunities to work with different Rolls-Royce businesses and support the overall management of R&D programs led by RRE-SG.
Your role will involve working on novel engineering concepts and developing approaches for introducing new technologies to Rolls-Royce as well as the associated commercialization and product introduction strategies. Your technical contributions will include but are not limited to putting forward innovative ideas, designs and topologies for potential development and leading/contributing to their actual implementation and validation along others. This position offers exciting challenges and opportunities for an ambitious individual with relevant qualifications, and forms part of the exciting and rapid expansion of the company-wide electrical engineering activities.
At Rolls-Royce, we focus on the future in every sense. We continually break new ground with integrated power solutions that are technologically advanced and create better power for a changing world, while also leading the charge toward the commercialization and fielding of such solutions and products.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is responsible for developing world class electrical technologies and products, as well as the associated integrated power generation and propulsion turnkey systems. RRE is rapidly extending the company's capability in the electrical domain and plays an increasingly important role in all our businesses as we move forward. Rolls-Royce Electrical - Singapore (RRE-SG) is developing electrical technologies, products and systems to drive the electrification in our aerospace, marine and land power system businesses. RRE-SG is seeking experienced and enthusiastic domain experts who are willing to join us and lead/contribute this unique technology and product development journey.
- Development of future Power Electronics technologies and products for different Rolls-Royce businesses.Advance the knowledge of the integration of Power Electronics Converters with associated components/subsystems e.g. electrical machines, power network, energy storage systems with the goal of optimizing overall system performance in relation to the specifics of the applications.
- Maintain a good understanding of ‘state-of-the-art’ in power converter component technologies e.g. new power devices, passive devices and components, magnetics, bus bar, cooling technologies and thermal management solutions, embedded systems (hardware and firmware), EMC, gate drives, sensors, 3D printing etc. Actively work with suppliers to acquire these technologies as required.
- Work towards becoming a subject matter expert (SME) for Power Electronic and represent the RRE-SG on Power Electronics matters in internal initiatives and represent the company at appropriate external venues.
- Develop component, subsystem and system level models in order to enhance the team’s ability to accelerate design, development and testing activities.
- Lead R&D projects and manage cross-functional activities to deliver committed milestones, on time and within budget while meeting technical, business and customer requirements.
- Engage senior management, different Rolls-Royce businesses and functions in developing strategic R&D activities on behalf of RRE-SG; Maintain good customer and stakeholder engagement throughout the project cycle.
- Support strategic collaboration with key R&D partners. Lead internal/external research programs to ensure business opportunities are pursued and Group's R&D requirements are satisfied.
- Support the achievement of department objectives aligned with global objectives.
- BS/MS/PhD degree in Electrical Engineering (with major in Power Electronics). Candidates with significant industrial and technology commercialization experience will be preferred especially in the development of commercial high-power and high-voltage power electronics converters for electric drives, power supplies and power conditioners. Experience in aerospace Industry is preferred. Candidates with experience in marine, renewables, automotive, mining or similar industries are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong technical knowledge of power electronics converter topologies (DC/AC and DC/DC) and power semiconductor devices which are applicable for high voltage and power application including the knowledge of gate driver design, embedded systems design (controller), magnetic components and layout of power converter system. Advanced experience in design of PCBs including schematics and multi-layer PCBs for Power converters
- Excellent understanding of packaging and thermal management of power converters as well as in modelling and time domain simulation software for power converter design. Familiarity with FEM simulation tools to optimize power converter design. Preferred experience with MATLAB/ Simulink/ HDL coder for model-based design
- Ability to work with components and solution suppliers to meet the system requirements is a must. The candidate should have a strong vendor and supplier database.
- Experience in solving noise problems in high switching frequency converters and ability to design of EMI/EMC filters to meet stringent requirements. It should be supported by good understanding of converter layout and component placement in converters.
- Undertake test rig design for these converters and associated commissioning with knowledge of potential issues when integrating power electronics converter into distribution system with various energy storages and sources/loads. Familiarity with different industrial standards for electrical system is an essential and knowledge/exposure of aerospace standards will be advantageous
- Experience in working in multi-domain team (Electrical, Mechanical, Control and Thermal). In general, you should have broad interests across engineering disciplines and a sound understanding of interactions with other engineering disciplines. Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, global team environment with effective oral and written communication skills
- An ability to achieve targets while working on multiple projects simultaneously and to monitor social, industrial and academic developments of technology and develop technology development plans.
We offer excellent opportunities to develop, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Pioneer the next generation of innovation. Join us and you’ll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for its brilliance.
Beyond tomorrowWe are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realize their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy here.
So that you can be your best at work and home, we’ll consider flexible working arrangements for everyone, in any role.
Rolls-Royce follows a merit-based employee recruitment process and does not charge/accept any payment/security deposit from candidates during the recruitment process. Candidates seeking employment with Rolls-Royce should be cautious of potentially fraudulent communications and offers from individuals and agencies purporting to be from, or acting on behalf of, Rolls-Royce.
Please refer to the Career section on the Rolls-Royce website to verify employment offers or vacancies. Rolls-Royce shall not be liable for any loss, damage or consequences that may arise from any communication or offer of employment not directly made by Rolls-Royce.
Rolls-Royce reserves the right to take legal action against any individuals or agencies acting on behalf of Rolls-Royce without authorisation.