Advanced Manufacturing Industry 4.0 Engineer
Date: Oct 18, 2019
Location: Benton Harbor, MI, US, 49022
Company: Whirlpool Corporation
Requisition ID: 35133
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Respect, integrity, diversity and inclusion, teamwork and the spirit of winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it's like to be part of the world's leading major home appliance company.
FunctionAs a member of the Global Advanced Manufacturing Engineering team one of your key functions is to develop and execute the strategy for Industrial Digital Transformation / Industry 4.0. The focus of the role will be to identify, prioritize, and help drive global implementation across Whirlpool’s manufacturing sites all the work-streams for Industrial Digital Transformation.
You will spend time supporting implementation of production data tools, automation, production intelligence capabilities, and Smart Factory Industry systems, coordinating reviews of potential systems with other engineers in Global Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and other groups. You may spend time at any of our facilities worldwide to review existing capabilities, making recommendations for Industry 4.0 technologies, digital transformation implementation or developing a global standard. You may be part of a cross-functional team with Advanced Manufacturing, Information Systems and Operations Excellence group, working to drive execution of an Industry 4.0 technology from Scouting, Trial, Pilot, Deployment and Rollout.
ResponsibilitiesThis is a broad-based engineering application in the emerging Industrial Digital Transformation and Industry 4.0 discipline. You will play a lead role in investigating and implementing a global strategy to establish connectivity, traceability, and data visibility within our manufacturing environment; taking into account the best possible solution from aspects such as cost, simplicity, effectiveness and agility. You will work globally with Engineering & Technology, Platform, and Manufacturing teams to distinguish ‘hype from reality’ within emerging Industry 4.0 technologies and develop plans to pilot and implement scalable production solutions that will reduce costs and improve product quality. You will function as the smart factory specialist, clearly communicating and explaining different technologies’ capabilities and limitations in both technical and non-technical manners. You will collaborate with regional I4.0 teams, who drive implementation initiatives, to provide technical expertise.
We are seeking a “hands-on” engineer with exceptional system design and analytical skills to play a key role in conceptualizing, developing and validating new concepts for existing and next-generation smart factory manufacturing systems. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when facing time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information typical of research and development work. You must also have a proven track record of bringing new concepts into reality in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop and maintain an expert level of technical knowledge in multiple Industry 4.0 / Smart Factory technologies. These may include automation, vision systems, artificial intelligence, data analytics (visualization & predictive modeling), and edge technologies
- Project Manage industrial digital transformation execution workstream, collaborate with regional global leads, while removing roadblocks to implementation.
- Build initial Business Case and Advanced Bill of Process activities within the Smart Factory related technologies, gaining participation and agreement from manufacturing experts globally
- Develop technology roadmaps and drive a metric-driven implementation for Whirlpool manufacturing on key Smart Factory technologies
- Identify potential opportunities for beneficial application of I4.0 systems within the plants and develop plans for implementation
- Identify new technologies developing Proof of Concept and implementation projects
- Evaluate capital equipment purchases to ensure that appropriate investments are made to enable connectivity, traceability, and data visibility
- Support manufacturing by ensuring proper design for cost and maintainability
- Assume various Project Management roles on projects as assigned or required
- Must be willing to travel 30-40% of the time; work will require travel to Asia, Mexico, Europe, and/or Latin America in addition to U.S. locations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with industrial operations, manufacturing process design, engineering development, and strategy desired
- Strong visual and verbal communication skills, ability to influence others through content and strategy creation.
- Experience with data analytics, data visualization, and/or statistical analysis desired
- Working knowledge of IT/OT architectures and how I4.0 technology fits within the environment
- Demonstrated track record for delivering solid technical, cost-effective solutions
- Strong understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles
- Ability to lead teams and set direction with a global perspective
- Global/international experience working with diverse teams
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and assess input from multiple key stakeholders and gain their buy-in for final resolution
- Demonstrated history of success in working in a matrix managed environment
- Have experience with program or project management implementing large scale, complex initiatives
- Preferably bilingual - English and Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or a commonly practiced language in Eastern Europe
- Proficiency with Google Enterprise Suite (Google Slides, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Experience with relational databases/historians and data analysis/visualization/statistical analysis platforms (Microsoft SQL, Tableau, JMP etc.) is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication; ability to develop clear messaging based on stakeholders and audience
- Ability to overcome and react to challenges and roadblocks by using structured problem solving, personal resilience, and developing effective countermeasures.
- Communicates openly, honestly, and directly, in a professional manner
- Ability to use both facts and interpersonal skills to reach agreement and consensus
- Proactively shares useful information from own investigations/research and also facilitates conversations for information sharing to ensure global collaboration
- Self-starter and self-directed; takes the initiative to investigate applicable technologies as they emerge without explicit direction
- Accountable for performance and professionalism
- Capable of connecting new and existing technical solutions to manufacturing challenges
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Capable of prioritizing activities and adapting quickly to changing environments
- Ability to work independently and in large, global, multi-disciplinary teams
- Comfortable with the freedom and ambiguity that is inherent in an advanced manufacturing environment
- Confident in expertise or knowledge; able to challenge manufacturing colleagues to think ‘out-of-the-box’ and be forward-thinking to leverage new technology
About usWhirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
Nearest Major Market: Niles
Nearest Secondary Market: South Bend
Job Segment: Industrial, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Information Systems, Manufacturing, Engineering, Technology