Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world’s leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients from the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in all regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their enterprises.
Our customized approach combines deep insight into the dynamics of companies and markets with collaboration at all levels of the client organization. This ensures that our clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, build more capable organizations, and secure lasting results. Founded in 1963, BCG is a private company with more than 90 offices in 50 countries. For more information, please visit bcg.com
Practice Area Profile
BCG GAMMA combines innovative skills in computer science, artificial intelligence, statistics, and machine learning with deep industry expertise. The BCG GAMMA team is comprised of world-class data scientists and business consultants who specialize in the use of advanced analytics to get breakthrough business results.
Our teams own the full analytics value-chain end to end: framing new business challenges, building fact-bases, designing innovative algorithms, creating scale through designing tools and apps, and training colleagues and clients in new solutions. Here at BCG GAMMA, you’ll have the chance to work with clients in every BCG region and every industry area. We are also a core member of a rapidly growing analytics enterprise at BCG - a constellation of teams focused on driving practical results for BCG clients by applying leading edge analytics approaches, data, and technology.
- Scientist (SDS) position within BCG Gamma. The SDS is a valuable expert in Data Science and Analytics and will design and build analytics methodologies, solutions, and products to deliver value to BCG's clients in collaboration with case teams. Exceptional candidates will also show an analytical curiosity, going beyond the immediate requirements of the project to find deep insights that others have missed. They will ask questions about outliers, seek to understand the fundamental drivers of advantage and look for clues that may change the basis of competition.
- As a Senior Data Scientist you design and build analytics solutions for our clients where data and analytics are at the heart of the question. The team interaction centers on use of statistical programs and others tools to conduct intensive analysis of objective data and open discussion, complemented by objective research into the competitive environment. Responsibilities / duties to include: understand problems from the client’s point of view, build and execute solid analytics work plans, gather and organize large and complex data assets, perform relevant analyses (data exploration and statistical modeling), manage priorities and deadlines, foster teamwork in interactions, develop client relationships with client counterparts, and communicate hypotheses and findings in a structured way.
- As the field of advanced analytics is rapidly evolving, the SDS is responsible for staying current on leading-edge business applications, tools and approaches, proactively working with the Analytics
- Leadership to enhance offerings that deliver competitive advantage to BCG.
- PhD and 1-2 years of relevant industry work experience or a Masters Degree with significant relevant experience providing advanced analytics solutions is required. The degree should be in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, machine learning, or a related data centric field.
- Looking for individuals with deep technical and data science expertise, acute strategic and analytical skills, ability to lead and persuade, drive and energy, and desire to work in a project based environment on strategic issues.
- Strong record of professional accomplishment and leadership.
Deep Technical and Data Science Expertise
The successful candidate will have a wealth of experience with applying advanced analytics to a variety of business situations, such that they can efficiently and effectively advise multiple teams on the best path to uncovering critical insights for clients. The DS will have Demonstrated analytical expertise, including the ability to synthesize complex data.
Experience in core analytics methods
Statistics (t-tests, ANOVA), variable reduction (FA, PCA), Segmentation/clustering techniques , Geographic cluster recognition and manipulation techniques, Predictive modeling: e.g. logistic regression, linear regression, Network analysis (location-allocation, travelling sales person, vehicle routing problem), Time series analysis: e.g. ARIMA, VAR, etc., Machine learning: e.g. LCA, Random Forest, neural networks, Spatio-temporal analysis, Time series analysis (ARIMA, VAR, etc.), Text mining & unstructured data analytics, Simulation: e.g. MC, dynamic, discrete event, Optimization: e.g. linear programming, heuristic
Familiarity with a broad base of analytics tools
Data management: e.g. Excel, SQL, PostGRESql, Hadoop/Hive, Alteryx, Analytics platforms: e.g. SAS, R, RapidMiner, SPSS, Data visualization: e.g. Tableau, GIS toolkits (ESRI, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar), ESRI Network Analyst, RouteSmart, RoadNet or similar, GPS data analysis a plus, Programming and/or scripting exp.: eg. Python, C#, VBA, Java, Perl, etc.
Experience in applied analytics for business problem solving
Eg. Extensive experience building analytical solutions for (one or more of the following), Pricing and promotional effectiveness, Delivery fleet consolidation, Loyalty program effectiveness, Network real estate reorganization, Customer segmentation and targeting, Delivery footprint/territory expansion (or reduction), Customer LTV maximization, Cost modeling of transportation & logistics operations, Churn prevention, Strong project management skills, Others a plus
Analytical and Conceptual thinking
A successful candidate will be able to conceptualize business problems and drive frameworks. The SDS will produce leading edge business models and must be able to work in a hypothesis-based environment where inductive rather than deductive thinking is the norm.
Engagement Management and Work with Case Teams
The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to manage engagements, client relationships, provide “thought leadership” to teams and able to act as a full member of a BCG project team. They must own analytical modules from work planning to creating impact. He/she must provide perspective on work execution and process efficiency to analytics project lead. Strong presence, strong collaborator and leadership skills and ability to operate effectively in a matrix organization are a must.
Client Relationship Management
The candidate with have a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and professionally with clients, delivering impactful solutions and presenting work in a concise and thoughtful manner, while demonstrating technical expertise (fluency in English is required). Strong business focus with experience with 80/20 approaches.
Must be an autonomous self starter with a passion for analytics and problem solving. He/she will help build new Analytics service offerings that grow our portfolio of products and will captures proprietary content as well as analytics insights to the knowledge infrastructure. The candidate will support the creation of proposal/selling documents and provide perspective on relevant Analytics value propositions.
Boston Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under national, provincial, or local law, where applicable, and those with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws.