SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business was ranked as the world’s 3rd largest global design firm by ENR in 2018 with nearly 55,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Jacksonville, FL Transportation Group as an Environmental Engineer.
MAJOR FUNCTION/ROLEUnder supervision, performs routine engineering work while developing professional proficiency. On design assignments, works to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On assignments involving investigations and planning, works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On assignments involving construction activities, works to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering drawings and specifications into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Assists in the Administration of the Florida Department of Transportation District 2 Maintenance Environmental Program.
- Helps oversee the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program, the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer (MS-4) permits, Basin Management Action Plans, and all associated TMDL’s.
- Assists with the disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous materials, hazmat spill mitigations and other solid/hazardous waste issues within Maintenance.
- Conducts independent technical assessments, compliance reviews and inspections associated w/ vehicle maintenance shops, car washes, back flow prevention, NPDES, water/waste water treatment facilities.
- Coordinates with Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) to ensure the Department’s Maintenance Environmental Programs are in compliance with FDEP regulations and requirements. Supports the environmental expert in Maintenance.
- Assists with the management of Local Agreements and contracts.
- Assists with all activities associated with Maintenance Environmental budget planning, scope/contract preparations and selections.
- Issues Contract Work Orders, monitors contract expenditure and processing consultant invoices for payment.
- Outreach program with local agencies.
- Conducts and coordinates trainings to Department’s employees on hazmat material handling, hazmat spill mitigation, and NPDES requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Engineering. Minimal experience is required of incumbents with a Bachelor's Degree in a branch of Engineering directly related to hiring discipline; no experience required with a Master's degree.
- Strong interpersonal skills; good public speaking ability; strong project financial management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills.
- PC and CAD skills required.
- E.I. or EIT desired.
- Environmental Engineer preferred (or Civil Engineer with experience or concentrated coursework in environmental).
- Position will work as an embedded employee with the Florida Department of Transportation District 2 in their Jacksonville Urban Office (located in Jacksonville, FL) - with a possibility at request to work in Lake City.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data. By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice. Location Jacksonville Location Jacksonville