Research Fellowship – Biopharmaceuticals Programme – ARD 2020
LE STUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies
(Open to international experienced researchers)
The region Centre-Val de Loire Ambition for Research and Development 2020 (ARD 2020) Biopharmaceuticals Programme is supported by LE STUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies for the attraction and recruitment of international experienced researchers and scientific animation.
The Biopharmaceuticals Programme aims to further develop and strengthen the region Centre-Val de Loire biopharmaceuticals industry by capitalising on the recognised capabilities of the multidisciplinary research teams from the regional research institutions.
The Biopharmaceuticals programme focuses on the design and biosynthesis of molecules for preclinical and clinical development by including the search for synergies with conventional chemically synthesised drugs. The programme involves working with a wide spectrum of molecules (vaccines, therapeutic antibodies, nucleic acids...) with the need for a diverse range of competences and the involvement of teams with complementary expertise. The researchers present in the region Centre-Val de Loire, working in the disciplines of life sciences, are invited to participate and work in synergy, for inter-sectorial development and innovation, in the pharmacy/health sectors to deliver socio-economic outcomes.
The successful candidate will benefit from the scientific environment of the region, will be part of an outward looking and stimulating pluri-disciplinary scientific and international cultural environment and will work in team “neurogenetics and neurometabolomics” of the research unit “Imaging and Brain” INSERM U930, at the University François-Rabelais of Tours (France).
MISSION OF THE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The research scientist will conduct state of the art investigations to develop a new therapeutic strategy targeting protein aggregates in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). The objective of the research project is to improve the knowledge of the pathogenic impact of protein aggregates in ALS and to test different therapeutics using both in vitro and ex vivo approaches. The successful applicant will work in a multi-disciplinary and translational team that includes biochemists, clinicians and biologists, combining both excellent communication and complementarity research environments on an ambitious project locally supported and implying collaboration with an industrial partner. S/he will benefit from the expertise and state-of-the-art facilities of the University in molecular biology, cell imaging, omics approaches, and in vivo functional exploration.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Senior researcher profile with:
- PhD in molecular and cellular neurobiology
- Expertise in drug screening
- Experience in culture of primary neuronal cells, in chemical biology, in metabolism explorations, in phage display and protein biology;
- Publications and significant international network;
- Proven ability to control the whole research chain from the definition of the problem to the communication of results, both for academic, industrial R & D and non-academic audiences;
- Experience and motivation for team work and ability to establish fruitful scientific exchanges with researchers and actors of different technical and scientific cultures;
- Ability to initiate new projects in the field of Cellular neurobiology and drug screening;
- Strong organisational and time management skills - able to prioritize work, manage time effectively and deliver results on time;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make clear and concise presentations and prepare compelling grant proposals.
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY
The fellowship is intended to attract an experienced international researcher in possession of a doctoral degree and a minimum of five years of full-time research experience, preferably ten.
- Applicant researchers must be national or long-term resident of a country other than France, i.e. having spent a period of full-time research activity of at least 5 consecutive (without breaks in research) years in a country other than France.
- Applicant researchers must also comply with the following mobility rule: not having resided or carried out their main activity (work, etc.) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline of application. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The position is based in Tours, France and offers a contract of one year.
The successful candidate will be welcomed into the Biopharmaceuticals Programme network and LE STUDIUM faculty of international research fellows working in the region Centre-Val de Loire. S/he will be provided with the necessary means of work (laboratory facilities, office, telephone, internet, access to databases, computer tools, etc ...).
The scientific working languages are French and English.
Entitlements detailed in the French labour contract of employment include:
- a personal salary.
- rental costs of a fully furnished apartment for the applicant and her/his family. Utilities (water, heating, electricity, tax) have to be covered by the research fellow.
- Affiliation to the French social security protection scheme and a contribution to a private medical protection scheme for all health costs complementing the French basic social security protection.
- Working hours, vacation and travelling expenses are bound by the same regulation as those effective for the personnel of the hosting laboratory.
- Logistics and administrative assistance by a member of LE STUDIUM operational team.
Conditions of application
Online application via LE STUDIUM platform: Apply section
The deadline for application is 31st July, 2017. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.
A first selection of candidates will be done in September 2017. The successful candidate will then be submitted to external evaluations and her/his application will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee of the Biopharmaceuticals Programme in October/November 2017. The position is expected to be filled as from January 2018.
The application will consist of four elements:
- A completed online LE STUDIUM application form with personal information;
- A curriculum vitae of maximum two pages;
- A motivation letter ;
- Contact details of 3-5 individuals for references.
Upload documents as pdf files.